Weight Management : Acupuncture, Acupressure, Relaxation and a Brief Dietary Consultation
While most experts say "exercise & diet" when it comes to weight loss, many do not succeed if they only exercise and follow the dietary recommendation. So, what is missing? Weight loss, like many other issues, is complicated and takes a holistic approach. Having treated many overweight patients in recent years, Dr. Sheng can help with his experience.
Personalized Weight Management Program
The 21st century is a time for personalized medicine. So, think about your weakness:
- Do you crave sweets?
- Are you an emotional eater?
- What is your stress level and how do you manage stress?
- Do you sleep well?
- What is your energy level?
- Is there food allergy such as gluten?
Dr. Sheng will have a brief consultation with you addressing these often neglected issues and tapping into your emotional appetite. Acupuncture will be provided and then ear acupressure pellets taped to the "hunger center" in your ears.
Success Story #1
Mrs. M came from Indiana, frustrated with recent weight gain. She joined weight watcher program years ago and was familiar with the point system and caloric content of food. She did succeeded initially, only to gain the weight back.
Upon close questioning, Dr. Sheng discovered that her main issue was anxiety and a very strong stress response. There were a number of issues in her family : husband working in another state, children constantly turning to her for their emotional problems, parents are old and ill ..... She admitted to be a stress eater and craving for sweets a lot.
Through acupuncture and acupressure for relaxation and curbing the appetite, relaxation response technique, she felt much better and lost 8 lbs at the end of a three week treatment program.
Success Story #2
Bev lived in different part of the country while younger, settled in Ohio 8 years ago after getting married. Her diet then changed to mainly steak/bread (white flour) combination. She felt bloated with digestive problem, moody, with respiratory/allergic symptoms. She did her own research and Dr. Sheng concurred - She might have gluten sensitivity. With a combination of acupuncture, acupressure and a gluten-free diet, she lost 15 pounds in one month, other digestive and respiratory symptoms also improved.
Practical tips to a "holistic approach" to weight loss in an era of personalized medicine :
- Your sugar control Carb is frequently the culprit. Cut back on the portion and do more slow carb (with fibers).
- Craving Consider an apple, healthy nuts or carrot sticks instead of sweets or carb.
- Tap into your emotional appetite Chronic stress and poor sleep may lead to weight gain. Practice some relaxation techniques.
- Food allergy or sensitivity Consider gluten-free and dairy-free diet. Try it for 6-8 weeks and see how much better you feel.
- Simple math If you eat 100 calories less per day, you lose one pound at the end a month. So, portion control - the 80/20 rule.
- What is your weakness? Each person has a different weakness which needs special attention